Devin Alexander's Scrambled Eggs with Sautéed Shrimp
- olive oil spray
- 4 egg whites
- 3oz medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup salsa or pico de gallo
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Lightly mist a medium microwave safe bowl with spray. Add the egg whites. Set aside.
- Toss the shrimp with the olive oil in a small mixing bowl.
- Preheat a small nonstick frying pan over medium high heat. Remove the pan from the heat just long enough to lightly mist it with spray. Place the garlic and shrimp in the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the shrimp are bright pink and cooked through, 2–3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a microwave safe plate over the bowl of egg whites and microwave the egg whites on low for 30 seconds. Continue microwaving them in 30 second intervals until they are just a bit runny on top. Then stir them with a fork, breaking them apart into large pieces. By the time you “scramble” and stir them, the residual heat should have cooked away the runniness. If they are still undercooked, microwave them on low in 10 second intervals until just done.
- Add the eggs to the pan with the shrimp. Gently stir the eggs into the shrimp mixture until they are well combined. Transfer the shrimp and eggs to a serving plate or bowl and top them with the pico de gallo and cilantro. Season them with pepper. Enjoy immediately.
Per serving: 4g fat, .5g saturated fat, 130mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 1g sugar, 32g protein
Recipe courtesy of the American Diabetes Association.